The Louisiana State Law Institute, originally authorized by the Board of Supervisors of the Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College, with its domicile at the Law School of that University, was chartered, created and organized as an official law revision commission, law reform agency and legal research agency of the State of Louisiana, by Act 166 of the Legislature of 1938 (Chapter 4 of Title 24 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950).
The governing authority of the Institute is vested in a Council consisting of ex-officio and elected members representative of the executive branch of the government, the legislature, the judiciary and the law-teaching and practicing professions. In addition, the By-Laws extend the privileges of membership on the Council to a limited number of other persons. Finally, there is a general membership of over 400. The general membership meets at least once a year at the Institute's annual meeting and at other times on the call of the Council. In compliance with the Institute's legislative charter, the annual meeting is organized for scholarly discussions of current problems in Louisiana law and particularly the projects under consideration by the Council, and for bringing together representatives of the legislature, members of the bench and bar, and representatives of the law-teaching profession.
The Institute is sustained by legislative appropriation. Its members pay no dues and serve without pay. Its funds are expended in the employment of research and clerical assistance, in the payment of nominal honoraria to the reporters who accept the responsibility for the preparation of its studies and recommendations, in the reimbursement of travel expenses incurred by the members of the Council and of committees in attending meetings, and in the maintenance of an administrative office.
December 15, 1977 J. DENSON SMITH, Director